Wanna know how you can make this Honeycomb candy from Squid Game? You’re just in the right place!
Dalgona candy, or the honeycomb candy, is taking over TikTok like crazy, and if you want to join the fun, you can easily make it at home within a few minutes. Dalgona candy is a traditional Korean candy based on the idea of removing the cute shape from the center of the candy while trying not to break it.
Many people have tried to make the Dalgona candy and share it on the internet, yet their attempts weren’t met with success. This is because this recipe seems easy (with only two ingredients and little time to make), but you need the proper technique if you want a perfect Dalgona candy.
While breaking the candy may end lives in Squid Games, Dalgona candy is actually packed with a lot of fun—from making it to trying to remove the shape and everything in between! In this article, we’re showing you exactly the right way to make the Honeycomb candy from Squid Game so you can join the fun. So, without further ado, let’s dive right into it…
You’d be surprised how few ingredients you need to make Honeycomb candy: just sugar and baking soda!
The type of sugar does not matter when making this candy since it will be heated and melted in the recipe. White sugar or brown sugar should both work perfectly for this recipe.
The second ingredient is baking soda, which you can find at any supermarket. Baking soda is an essential ingredient used as a raising agent to bake all sorts of delicious cakes. But that doesn’t mean that baking soda can’t play the same role in our Honeycomb toffee recipe!
Now that you’ve prepared your two ingredients, it’s time to make the Honeycomb candy. But before we get into the preparation method, make sure to measure both sugar and baking soda. To make a candy that tastes excellent, you must know the correct ratio of sugar and baking soda, which is 1.5 tbsp of sugar to 1 pinch of baking soda.
You don’t need many tools to make a perfect Dalgona candy at home. Here’s what you’re going to use:
- Ladle for heating the sugar
- Chopstick for stirring
- Non-stick baking sheet
- Hotteok press
- Your favorite cookie cutter
Preparing your Dalgona candy shouldn’t take more than a few minutes. Be careful here since this recipe is tricky and requires the proper technique. Just follow these steps, and you should be fine:
- The first thing you need to do is to heat a spoon on low or medium heat.
- Add the sugar. Make sure the sugar doesn’t burn. Otherwise, you’ll end up with a bitter taste. Keep stirring and regulate the heat.
- If you notice the sugar burning, quickly lift your ladle, so it becomes close enough to heat to melt but not to burn. You should bring it to close again to the heat when the sugar cools off.
- Repeat the above step until you see a few or no lumps.
- Let the sugar cool off for a few seconds.
- Add your baking soda and see the magic! The mixture should immediately form foams once you add the baking soda. You want to be careful since your sugar mixture can quickly burn at this point.
- Stir, stir, stir!
- After the baking soda has completely dissolved, your sugar mixture is ready.
- Since the mixture can stick to almost any surface it touches, you want a good non-stick baking sheet to let the mixture cool off on it.
- Wait for a few seconds until it cools off.
- Tap your candy mixture
- Press the mixture with the mold
- Use a small cookie cutter to make a cute shape in the center. Be careful not to separate the shape from the entire Dalgona candy. You want to gently stamp the candy, just enough to give you the desired shape.
- Let your candy cool
- Now for the fun part, serve your Squid Game candy and enjoy!
Best Ways To Enjoy Dalgona Candy
This traditional candy can be enjoyed alone or with a cup of milk. It is also fun to break the candy into smaller pieces and serve it over your favorite cup of coffee or ice cream. And, of course, you can first spend some effort trying to get the cute shape out before eating your Dalgona candy. The rule is simple—don’t break the candy!
Tips and Tricks to Win At The TikTok Dalgona Candy Challenge
The Dalgona candy challenge has gone viral on TikTok for a good reason—it’s packed with fun! However, it’s not easy at all to win this challenge. So, here are some tips and tricks to help you get the shape out safely:
- You want to use a wet needle or toothpick, not dry. Squid Game’s contestants also use this trick since it decreases the possibility of breaking your candy. Remember, though, that this trick does not work the best if you have little time.
- Heat your needle or toothpick. This is a very effective trick to win the challenge. However, it is sometimes considered cheating.
- If nothing works, give your candy a good lick! Licking your Dalgona candy will significantly help you win the challenge since the shape itself is usually thicker than the rest of the candy.